Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tread softly...

It is so like me to jump into things head on- sometimes without even looking before heading out! So here I am starting my first blog. I do find it somewhat strange as I ask myself why would anyone want to ready what I have to write...

After spending 3 days at the OTF Teaching in the 21st Century conference in Toronto I have been inspired and energized in my own personal and professional growth- and in a domain I am not terribly comfortable with.

Here is why I find this so overwhelmingly exciting. As I start this blog tonight, I have also started blogging with some of my students today. What is so striking about this for me is this.... I am a Special Education Teacher and this year I am using the Empower Reading program with 16 students at my school. When we started in October, none of these students were functionally literate- and several could not read at all. And today they started blogging. And with tears in my eyes I read their comments to my first blog to them!

So it all comes together as last night I got my Sir Ken Robinson fix and he reminded me that "Everyday and everywhere, children lay their dreams beneath our feet... we must tread softly".

1 comment:

  1. Trish, what an awesome entry. I feel inspired.
    Just so you know, once you start. You'll be addicted for life.
    You definitely have a follower in me.

    ReplyDelete